Sunday, November 7, 2010

NYC - food bites week 44 of 52




Hi everyone – I just got back from a week away for work and this week will fill you in on the NYC food bites! Recipe next week – stay tuned!

I went to Iron Chef Morimoto’s restaurant in New York City when I was there for work – I walked in and was seated at the sushi bar. I ordered the toro tartare because Duff Goldman had put it on an episode of “Best Thing I Ever Ate” - it was incredible!

The dish was visually stunning! Minced toro is served in a tray with a mini scoop – the way to eat it is to take the scoop and take some of the toro and dip into one of 6 sides: crème fraiche, avocado, seaweed sauce, rice crakers, sprout or fresh wasabi. Not only was the dish beautiful, it was one of the best things I’ve ever eaten!

I ordered several other dishes, including soft shell crab roll, gyoza in an interesting bacon foam and lobster fritters – they were all good but the toro tartare was hands down the best thing ever! Note: If you’re on a business trip by yourself, definitely get a seat at the sushi bar, that way you get dinner and a show! The chefs make it look so easy – it was mesmerizing to watch them prepare the dishes – it looked almost effortless! Next time will go back for the omakase!
Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment